Saturday, March 10, 2012

About Time!

I had a good long-run today!  After the past 2 weeks and their sucky 10 milers, I needed it.  Although I'm a little angry that the course we followed shorted me by 1/2 mile (11.5 instead of 12 :( )  Usually I would run around the block to get the extra half in, but I figured it doesn't really matter.  Plus the route was quite hilly so I'm okay with it. (Map | Elevation)  I started out with one of my "regular" running buddies at 501, Sarah, but she only had 8 on the plan and I had 12, so we ran the first 5 together until she turned around (Yes, I know 5+5 doesn't = 8! It was a 2 mile loop and then out and back from there, so 2+3=5+3back=8.  I promise I can do math.  Most of the time).  Then I joined up with the group that was a bit behind us, but they were going for 14 and I was only doing 12, so I turned around at mile 7 fell in with a guy we had just passed, so he was a going a little slower, but not too much, and he had 12 on his books for the day so it worked out well.  My splits kind of start faster and then get gradually slower because of the group changes, but it was nice to be with somebody the whole way.  I usually end up running alone for a good chunk of my long runs.  Which is fine too.  I sometimes sneak in my headphones though when I'm going it alone.  The best part of today was that I didn't really have any pain, and was in a pretty good groove w/ not much struggle the whole way.  Yay.

Oh speaking of music, I like to post MVP songs and I forgot to for my solo 6 miler yesterday.  There is my old faithful that always gets me going: Go Periscope - Rollin' With the Dead and didn't fail me yesterday.  But the new MVP for yesterday's run was Katy Perry - Part of Me.  I'm generally not a huge Katy Perry fan, but sometimes she gets it right.  I'm sure it won't have the staying power that "Rollin' with the dead" has for me, but it's working for now.  One of these days I'll post a list of my current favorite running songs.  And maybe some past ones that I wore out, but that used to get me moving.

Back to today.  I invented a new way to wear my Buff on my run today.  I call it "The Claw", or, alternatively, "The Snot Mitten". 


I'm sure that the second title kind of gives away it's purpose, but just in case it didn't, here it is in action: 


I think they should add that to the Buff instructions/diagrams, don't you??

 I was supposed to have lunch with Jeff today after my run, but I got home at 10:30 am and he had only just crawled out of bed.  He had 11 miles on his schedule today too, and he didn't leave until 11am!  So I must wait.  Hungry.  And tired.   Since it is past my bedtime, I decided to shake out the legs a bit and give the dogs some exercise while I wait, so I took them each for a bike ride. Molly doesn't look very happy in the pics, but trust me, she gets way more excited once we get going.

Check out my "Walky-dog" bike leash, pretty sweet huh??.  We actually have two, so we can take both dogs on the same bike if we want, or two bikes/two dogs.  I love those things.  Highly recommend!

Molly is out of shape and can't go very far, but Callie ran hard for a good long while.  I took them each through some small wooded parks/trails for a little sensory vacation from the pavement too.

You may also notice that I'm wearing my Buff in a different style here.  You may be asking yourself, 'surely this isn't the same Buff as the "Snot Mitten", now covering your face??'  Oh it is. And it is definitely post-run.  Don't judge.  That's what showers are for.  Plus my nose wasn't very runny today.  And it's not like I'm going to give myself back the flu.   That's all for today kids.   I'm going to go eat some more goldfish crackers so I don't starve to death waiting for Jeff.

7 comments:

  1. I love your snot mitten. Very creative, I've never thought of that approach before. Then as a bonus, it keeps your face from chapping. Brilliant I say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and hello! Love your running blog database! Brilliant idea, from a former engineer to a current one. :)

      Delete
  2. hahaha that snot mitten is awesome!! I usually just use the sleeve of my shirt but you know :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well my sleeves were tight and just at the wrists w/ not much give. And they were under my jacket. Plus then the snot is visible on the sleeve when you're hanging out with your running group post-run. I can put the snot-mitten away in my pocket.

      Delete
  3. Yay post a list of running songs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually read your blog on my phone, but this is my first read from the computer! I am now an official follower. WOO HOO!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice job on the run! I love the bike walky-dog leash. So very cool! I would totally use the Snot mitten after too

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...