Tuesday, March 13, 2012

R.I.P. Slimy Friends

Jeff is out of town all week, which means it's just me and the dogs (and the cats, but they're pretty low maintenance).  I feel obligated to run the dogs more than usual because I feel bad that they're home alone all the time, or sleeping with me, when Jeff is gone.  They go down to the basement when I'm at work, then I get home, let them out to pee, and then take them to bed with me.  Then I wake up, let them out to pee again,  then leave them alone while I go for a group run, come home for 2 hrs, then put them back in the basement when I go to work.  Sounds like a boring life, right?  So I took them out on the bike again this morning (I was off work last night) .  Callie had the first turn this time, and the sun hadn't come up yet, so I couldn't really see the pavement.  Then the sun was up for Molly's turn and I realized there were worms EVERYWHERE from the rain the night before.  I dodged them as best I could, but I know I hit at least 2 (that I saw).  Who knows how many I hit with Callie when I couldn't see the street.  R.I.P slimy friends.  :(

Tuesday is "workout" day with the 501-ers.  This means hill repeats, track intervals, or drills and stairs and the like.  It seems like we've been doing more hills than anything else, which I'm pretty sick of, to be honest.  I feel like I need to do more intervals on the track to really boost my speed.  I know they say "hills are speedwork in disguise" but I'm just not seeing it.  Pace/elevation chart below.  (Map and Summary here

Powered by RunningAHEAD.com
I wasn't really feeling it today.  I ran alone and got passed by pretty much everybody.  I had 6 miles on the plan for today and when I'm short after following the workout prescribed by Coach Gina I usually do a lap or 2 around the block or whatever it takes to hit the distance I had planned, but I didn't have the energy today.  I just stopped when I got back to the store, even though it was only 5.4 miles.  Oh well.

This was the first group run since the time change.  It was nice to have daylight the whole time.  I wore shorts and a tank top because it was like 60 degrees.  I thankfully realized at the last minute that I should probably shave my legs a bit before I went out.  Ha.

After the run a physical therapy guy was demo-ing some stretching which was interesting.  He did some "dynamic stretching" moves that I hadn't seen before.  I was tempted to bother him to ask him about my hip pain, but I didn't.  I may go in for one of their free injury assessments. It's my right hip and it's not bad at all, but it's there, and it's annoying.  More important, it makes me nervous.  I feel like I'm running the edge of being out with an injury again.  I'd kind of like to nip it while it's not much and go in for PT or something, but on the other hand it's really hard to describe and not really reproducible so I'm not sure if anybody will be able to help me.

Shamrock 10K is this Sunday and I'm not looking forward to that either.  Looking at my pace over the past month, my weekly averages just keep getting slower.  Not exactly confidence-boosting for a stellar race performance.  I haven't done many 10Ks, so I don't have a good feel for my pace.  I guess my goal is just to PR, so I need better than 53:13.  Normally I would say that should be easy, given how much running I've been doing since my last 10K in October, but that's 8:34/mile, and it sure doesn't sound easy today.  At least I'll get a nice medal and t-shirt. 



I'm still bummed that I missed 3 runs due to the flu.  My monthly mileage for March is looking lower than it should, and my mileage hasn't ramped up at all the past few weeks.  This could be a blessing in disguise though, as it may have given me a little rest on that R hip. 

Subway and cookies for dinner again tonight :)  Work tonight and tomorrow, then 3 nights off.    Tomorrow is the A2Runners Wednesday group run.  I may end up going it alone there too though, as I'm just feeling SLOW. 

Also, a new "motivational poster" courtesy of Mark Remy at Runner's World.  These are awesome.  Go back and look at the first 10 if you haven't already.
That is totally me at every single 501 group run.  I stand by the big display window and hold my arm out into the display area so the watch can get a signal before we start.   

    4 comments:

    1. I feel your slowing down. I has 120+ miles per month in the previous 6 months in a row. This month I'm not likely to get it. I just don't care anymore. It's weird. I think I'm worn out and a month or two of taking it easy will be beneficial. Either that or I don't know how to run in decent weather. :)

      Also, thanks for the tip on the Runners World poster. :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. Andrew: I do think your body needs to adjust to any weather change. I have found that, after running all winter in the relative cold, it just feels different to run when it is "warm" and when there is some humidity in the air. The sweat just doesn't evaporate as fast. My ideal race conditions are 55 degress and partly cloudy. :)

      Kayty: Best of luck at the race! I really am not certain how I will do. Anywhere from about 56 min to 48 min would not surprise me. While I have been, for the most part, running more distance than ever, I still am not sure how fast I will be. I actually think I have a better idea about the Rock CF Half Marathon, because that was my real training target.

      I don't know if you saw my reply to your post on my page, but if you see me, please say hello! MI run bloggers unite! :)

      ReplyDelete
    3. I'm taking the "not looking forward I that" very personally. Bring a book and assume I'll take twice as long as you. :) :)

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...