Wednesday, March 7, 2012

'Tis better to have run and coughed than never to have run at all... (I hope).

So I ended up going down to the basement to the dreadmill and trying to workout.  Ultimately my goal of logging 100 miles a month or 1200 miles this year (and hence 25 miles minimum per week) was what got me down there.  It wasn't really a run though.  4.5 was the magic number.  4.5 mph was the perfect speed that could be done as a slow jog or a fast walk (which I alternated) without adjusting the speed on the machine.  I read my kindle while I was at it.  I couldn't manage a faster jog without my lungs burning so it took me about 80 minutes to log 6 miles, and that's not including all the breaks I took between 1.5 mile chunks of "running" to do strength training, blow my nose, change the laundry, etc.  My wheezing and lung congestion do seem to be a bit better now that I'm done, so I'll take that.  And I'm glad to get some miles on the calendar.  I should have gone earlier in the "evening" though.  As it was, I didn't start until about 4 am and hence it's technically Wednesday on the calendar, but in terms of my sleeping schedule it was still Tuesday.  (Working nights makes logging runs at different times of day tricky.  For example, I may run one day after work and before I go to bed, at like 8am, then sleep 9am-5pm, then run again at like 6pm.  So it looks like I ran twice in the same day, but really I didn't because I had a full nights sleep in between.  It would just be like you running after work at 6pm one day and then doing it before work the next morning.  It's a frequent matter of mental anguish for me in terms of whether to log the dates/times accurately, or to shift them around so they look on the calendar more like they feel like to me and my sleep schedule.  It also makes me wonder if my training schedule is bad because it is supposed to be Tu, Wed, Thu, Sat, Sun, but because I run in the evenings (when I first wake up) on Tu, Wed, Thu, and in the mornings after work (before I go to bed) on Sat & Sun, I effectively run 5 days in a row in terms of sleeping (because Saturday morning is actually still Friday evening for me, and Sunday morning is still Saturday evening, which means I actually run Tues through Saturday, with Sun & Mon off).  Which is not how the program was designed.  But then again the number of hours between runs is the same that everyone else does so maybe it doesn't matter.  Who knows. Sorry that was a really long side note).    Ultimately I worked out a lot longer today than I normally would if I wasn't sick, but I justified it by the fact that I had an extra day (2 actually) not spent at work, and by the fact that I went at a much lower intensity than normal.  Here's hoping I sped up my recovery and not the opposite...

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...