Friday, April 6, 2012

Downhill from here!! And cake.

I only worked 4.5 hrs last night so I got home at 4am and went to sleep at 6am.   I was hoping to sleep 6am to 6pm so I could go to my group long run after work at 8am Saturday morning.  Of course I failed and only slept 6am to noon.  I knew that waking up at noon, then working 9pm-7:30am (I'm going in 2 hrs early for a coworker) would leave me too exhausted to do a long run at 8am, so I opted to do it today instead.  Weather was great for an easy/long run, about 60 degrees I think.  I did 10 miles, average pace 9:45/mile, and this was day 4 in a row of running (6, 5, 5, 10, with the two fives on Tu & Wed being pretty quick), so I was happy with that pace on dead legs!  This was my LAST long run before the race!  Crazy.  I think I'm going to take two days off now.  Partially because Easter is on Sunday so if I run I won't be able to go to Easter dinner with Jeff's family, and partially because I want to run every other day (sort-of) this week leading up to the race, but I want to run with my Wednesday group, so I'm aiming for M, W, Th.  I was thinking maybe S, M, W, Th, but that doesn't seem taper-y enough for race week, even if I do drop the mileage.  (It all seemed so clear when I was running.  All that agonizing over my final week's plan was dumb.  I should have just saved the thinking for the running.)  I also realized I need to take my sleep into consideration and plan that as out as well.  So here it is....drumroll.... my finalized (I hope!) race week plan, featuring work, sleep, and running. 
  • Tonight - work 9pm-7:30am
  • Saturday - sleep 8am-4pm, followed by a lot of nothing until work, 11pm-7:30am. 
  • Sunday- sleep 8am-2pm, Easter dinner, work 11p-7:30am. 
  • Monday- sleep 8a-5pm (or later if I'm still tired), run 6 miles (easy/medium effort), work on my playlist and agonize over race details through my night off.  And maybe do laundry.  And probably eat cake*. 
  • Tuesday - sleep whenever I feel like it, probably 7a-3p or 9a-5p or something depending on how late I slept in Monday evening.  Finalize playlist if needed. Work 11pm-7:30am
  • Wednesday -  sleep 9a-5p.  Group run at Gallup Park with A2 Runners.  Run approx 5 miles, first half very easy, last half 8:45-9:05 min/mile. Work 11pm-7:30am. 
  • Thursday -sleep 9a - 3pm.  Run 3 miles easy.  Sleep again, 11pm-4am or later if possible, with Benadryl PRN. 
  • Friday - wake up at 4am or later.  Stress out most of the day and convince myself that I'm going to suck at the race.  Watch running movies on Netflix to get psyched again, and/or read a book or websites or something to get me in the mood.  4pm-ish: trek out to Dearborn for the expo, get excited, and take lots of pictures for my blog.  Get my t-shirt and race packet. Come home and listen to my playlist and think fast thoughts.  Lay out all my gear. Sleep whenever I'm tired, probably 8 or 9pm until 5am.    
  • Saturday - wake up at 5am or so.  Eat something.  Stress out. Get dressed.  Leave around 6:45am for the race.  Cheer for Irina at the start of her 10K at 8:00am.  Stress out for 45 minutes and try to stay warm. 8:45am - Run as fast as I can for 13.1 miles.  10:45am- celebrate my amazing speed and success at smashing my PR.  Model my super-awesome medal. 
So, what do you think?  (Other than that I'm insane and think too much.  Way to point out the obvious, genius. )  That makes running Monday 6, Wednesday 5, and Thursday 3, with the race on Saturday.  Is that enough running?  Total is 14 miles plus the race for a week total of 27 miles.  My past 3 weeks have been 32-35 (Usually Sunday 6, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 5, Thursday 5, so I've dropped a full 6 miler and shortened and easy-fied the last run on Thursday).  Sounds okay to me I think.  The part I'm most freaked out by is not running between now and Monday.  But I think it's a good idea because I've been running pretty hard this week. 



**A note about cake: My nights off from work almost always involve this evil microwave mug cake recipe, and frosting.  I've been meaning to post the recipe, and now seems like as good a time as any!

Single Serving Mug Brownie/Cake
  • ¼ cup flour
  • ¼ cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 dash salt
  • ¼ teaspoon vanilla
  1. Combine all of the above in a mug, mix well with a fork, and microwave 45-60 seconds.  Do not overcook. (60 seconds works for me.  The top and sides should still look a bit wet).
(From http://www.food.com/recipe/brownie-for-one-356881#ixzz1lOgenqNu)

(Update: I stopped making the frosting, and instead have been adding chocolate chips to the cake batter.  Delish!!)

Single Serving Chocolate Frosting
  • 1 tablespoon butter, softened
  • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/8 pinch salt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons hot water
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
  1. Combine everything but the sugar and mix well.  Add the sugar and mix until it looks like frosting! 
(Adapted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-frosting-i/detail.aspx)

The total prep AND cooking time is something like 10 minutes (and that's only if you move really slowly). You end up with a good sized chocolate fix, but not a whole pan's worth, which is very dangerous if you're anything like me and feel obligated to eat every bite of chocolate in the house immediately.

Super bonus (or problem, depending on the perspective) is the fact that I almost always have ingredients on hand.  No perishables needed for the cake! (Milk, eggs, butter, etc).  There is butter in the frosting, but I bet crisco would work okay too.  And the frosting isn't required anyway.  It was very depressing chasing my dessert with water instead of milk to drink though :(

The texture of the mug brownie/cake is a little off, but the flavor is very good. And the texture is much better than the "5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake" recipe which circulated via email a while back, and which I had previously posted.  That recipe yields a very unnatural, gelatinous "cake", and the flavor is bad too.

If you're less of a frosting addict than me, or want to shave off 110 calories, the frosting recipe could be halved and still be enough for the brownie.  I didn't bother actually putting the frosting on the brownie, I just put some of each on each spoonful.

One last thing, this isn't a "low calorie" dessert.  I didn't actually calculate the calories exactly, but a quick guesstimate put it at around 800 (600 cake, 200 frosting).  Way less than I would eat if I made a whole cake, pan of brownies, or batch of cookies though! (My previous quick chocolate fix was no-bake cookies, which resulted in an ingestion of about 2000 calories in no time flat).

6 comments:

  1. I love your single serving brownies. If you hang around the finish for a few minutes I'll probably run into you. It might be a good idea because I'll probably need medical attention. I hope you have a great race! The CAC is having more fun reading about your training than doing our own so keep it at otherwise we might think running stinks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Haha! I'll brush up on my CPR skills Friday night and will definitely stick around and watch for you. What's your expected finish time? FYI, I stalked your results for the Rock CF half and it looks like you are going to kill this full marathon, no CPR needed. :)

      Delete
  2. Great plan!! I'd love to try to meet up and snap a pic together at martian!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...