Thursday, May 3, 2012

LIES!


"Running is not, as it so often seems, only about what you did in your last race or about how many miles you ran last week. It is, in a much more important way, about community, about appreciating all the miles run by other runners, too." -Richard O'Brien

-------------------------------------------------------------
I ran at a park in PA this morning, 2 loops around the lake, about 3 miles per loop.  And my Garmin, again, is a giant liar.
"One of these things is not like the other..." ( I think that's from Sesame Street?)

 There is NO way I did 13:15 the first mile.  MAYBE, 11:00 or 11:30, but even that is stretch.  It felt like my "normal" easy/slow pace, like 10:30.  And I didn't feel like I sped up the second mile, so that would be about right.  That first mile "split" brought my average pace for this run up to 10:25.  This crap is ruining my stats on my RunningAhead.com log!  I reviewed the map to see if it made sense, and it doesn't: 

I did one loop clockwise and then one loop counter-clockwise.
 I actually started slightly LEFT of where I stopped, but my start point on the map is WAY right, so I'm thinking maybe the time started when I pushed start but the distance didn't start until later?  I don't know.  It's annoying though.  As soon as I get back home I'm getting a new Garmin! (Hopefully mine is under warranty...I don't recall when I bought it).

I did the first loop easy and then did fartlek the 2nd loop: 1, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 1 (minutes of "speed", with 1 minute easy in between each).  I say "speed" because there were some steep hills on the loop so sometimes my speedy parts weren't actually fast, but they were at the same increased effort as speed so I figure that counts! 

I'll probably run the same route tomorrow morning and then 5K on Sunday, which I am planning on "racing" but don't have high expectations, given the heat, lack of rest, and the fact that I didn't bring my racing shoes.  (The shoes I brought are my standard, cushier, heavier, long run shoes). 

3 comments:

  1. I see you tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you adjust the starting point on the map, does it correct your first mile pace? I think it's a GPS fluke maybe and not a Garmin issue. I use an app on my phone and on a rare occasion my starting point is way off, but the data is correct when I adjust the map online. Frustrating, but I think it has to do with how well the satellites are positioning in any given moment. Or maybe not! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I will try that! Unfortunately my garmin has other issues (described here: http://tyruns.blogspot.com/2012/04/murphys-law-sht-happens.html) that still necessitate a return! (just that the backlight won't shut off!)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...