Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Speed Success

"It's wrong to believe that you need a certain physical body type to run. All body types can run. The people who succeed are not the ones who have the longest legs or the leanest torsos. The champions are the one who understand how to harness the power of the brain. Determination. Discipline. Organization. Time management. Friendship-making. These skills are what it takes to succeed in running. You have to want it, you have to plan for it, you have to fit it into a busy day, you have to be mentally tough, you have to use others to help you. The hard part isn't getting your body in shape. The hard part is getting your mind in shape." -Amby Burfoot
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I did mile repeats in the park with the 501 club today.  Weather was gorgeous.  It was a tad warm for me, but not terrible.  It went so much better than last week when I tried to do mile repeats by myself.  My goal was to be consistent and hopefully stay between 8 and 8:30 for each mile.  Look how pretty this one came out!  Bars 1 & 10 were warm-up and cool-down, respectively.


The course was out a mile, back a mile (extending out at each end for my rest walks).  Because it was in a park and not on the track, the route wasn't completely flat.  Because it was out & back, one of the directions (inbound) had a net negative elevation change, while the opposite direction (outbound) was net positive. Given that, I'm super happy with my splits.  Mile times were 8:09, 8:20, 8:10, 8:22.  Or, 8:09 & 8:10 on the inbound/downhill legs, 8:20 and 8:22 on the outbound/uphill legs.  Hello consistency!! I had to dig in quite a bit on that last mile though, it was a struggle.  I didn't really look at my GPS much, I was trying to focus on my effort level and form.  I guess it worked!  

Thanks 501 once again for helping me run better than I ever could by myself!  


2 comments:

  1. Wow nice job on the mile repeats, especially with the uphill and downhill!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...