Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Monday Mintervals

Alliteration is cool, and "Monday Intervals" was a boring title.  I didn't even have anything mint today, other than toothpaste.  Oh well. 

Today is Monday and Monday has been my interval day for the past several weeks (ever since I started doing tempo runs consistently on Wednesdays).  (Note: it is actually 3:30am on Tuesday, but it's still Monday for me.  Tuesday won't start until I wake up at 4pm.)  I have been doing 1 mile repeats w/ 1/2 mile recovery jogs on the treadmill for my interval workouts each week.  Because my mileage is reducing with the marathon taper, I only had 6 miles on the schedule, and hence did only three repeats instead of five. My quads were still sore from the 20 miler on Saturday, and I was feeling sleepy for some reason, so I wasn't really in the mood to run "fast".  But, last week I said I was going to do 7.0 mph for the fast intervals, so that is what I did (at 1% incline).  It was actually (surprisingly) really comfortable.  Probably because I only had to do it three times.  My heart rate never even went above 180.  Normally I would say that means I should increase the pace, but I'm not going to do any more pace increases while I'm tapering. 

Today was also my first run with my Garmin Footpod.  I didn't calibrate it yet, but I was curious to see how accurate it was "out of the box".
Footpod visible on gray/green left shoe.  Black blob in bottom left corner is Molly, who is always in the wrong place at the wrong time.  See zoomed out version below. 
Molly could use a few runs herself....
The footpod seemed to be right on when I was jogging the recovery intervals (5.1 mph), but it overestimated my speed by quite a bit when I was doing the fast miles (7.0 mph).  7.0 mph is about 8:34 min/mile, but the Garmin was reporting me at about 8:08.  Over the entire course of the run it was only off by 0.18 miles.  Treadmill reported 6.0 miles, footpod reported 6.18.  Really not too bad for using it right out of the box without calibration, though it made my average pace 9:30something instead of 9:50something, which sounds a lot more severe than 6.0 vs 6.18.  Tomorrow I don't have a run on the schedule so I think I'll play with calibrating to the treadmill.  Not sure when I'll make it to a track to do that calibration.  Using today's run, it looks like my calibration factor should be 97.09 on the treadmill.  Actually I'll probably just use that for now and then keep adjusting it if it continues to be off.  That way I don't have to run extra.  :)  Although I am curious if I get different values at different paces, which is what it seemed like today.  

The heart rate and pace data from the Garmin are below.  Even if it's not completely accurate, it is still nice to have something to upload when I run indoors. 
It's like a mirror!  A weird circus mirror....
Update on my strength goals:  I am now up to five "real" pushups.  Yay.  I did them before my run today, because I have noticed that they're much harder to do after.  As for pullups, still zero.  :)  I did attempt to use the pullup bar that Jeff put up for me in the basement (thanks hun!) for the first time tonight, it just didn't go so well.  For one thing, I realized that I have no idea how to do pullups.  Do you do them overhand or underhand??  I guess it depends which muscles you want to work, and the answer is probably that I should do both.  Yeah, yeah, shut up.  I did do a few with the stool supporting only as much weight as I needed to offload to be able to pull up with my arms, but didn't do a full set.  Tomorrow is strength day; I was just testing the waters.  Should be interesting. 
That jump rope has been used exactly zero times in the past 3 years.  The TV needs to go in the trash, I just haven't gotten there yet.  :)
And finally, marathon countdown stats:
  • 19 calendar days until race day
  • 59 training miles left
  • 1 run longer than 10 miles
  • 8 work days left until my 7 day marathon-vacation
I can't think of any other ways to count it down.  Suggestions welcome! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...