Thursday, October 11, 2012

More Marathon Preparation. Sorry.

I've finalized my race plan.   I'm starting with the 4:30 pacer and running with him for 10 miles.  (At that point the course levels out nicely).   (4:30 = 10:18 min/mile). 
At 10 miles, I will try to speed up, likely by latching on to somebody as they pass me.  I won't go any faster than 9:45.  I'll do a half-marathon at hopefully about 9:50 pace.  Then there's just 3 miles left and I'll dump whatever's left in the tank.   That should bring me in anywhere from 4:21 to 4:30.  10 mile warmup, half marathon, 5K.  Easy as pie.  

Ha.  

I'm not at all confident in my ability to speed up to 9:50 for the 13 miles in the middle, so that may not happen at all.  I'm fairly confident that keeping with the 4:30 pacer for the first 10 miles should be fine, but I could be wrong there too.  If I'm struggling early I will back off the pace and abort the plan completely, and just try to run a consistent pace and finish strong, in whatever time that is.  (Maybe jumping in with the 4:40 pacer instead for 10 miles, and sticking with the plan, but at slower paces for each leg). 

I'm excited to see what happens.  I wish it were race day already.  It seems like it's been 2 weeks away for at least a month.  Aside from one brief interval workout tune-up the Wednesday before the race, I think I'm just going to practice pacing on the remainder of my runs (only 5 runs left!).  I think I'll try to do the first half of each of them at 10:18 and the second half at 9:50 and see how doable those paces feel, as well as get in the habit of running them, to try to build some muscle memory over the next 1.5 weeks.  Interestingly, this past weekend's long run of 12.5 miles averaged 10:18 min/mile exactly, without even trying to hit that pace.  That's a good sign.  

Race day should show up on the 10 day forecast tomorrow, so that's a huge milestone!  Right now, the day before the race shows sunny with a high of 56, zero chance of precipitation.  Wind SW @ 12 mph.  I have no idea if that is a lot of wind or not.  Somebody clue me in.  It was windy today on my run, but I don't know what the speed was.   Oh, here is today's run, by the way:
I knew I didn't want to go faster than 9:45 today, but the group I was with started faster than that.  You can tell where I decided to let them get away and work on practicing my (ballpark) race pace instead.   

On to some planning lists.  I could write these on paper, but why do that when I could bore you instead??  I am the meanest blogger ever.  It's not so much a blog as it is a brain dump, in case you haven't figured that out yet.  Running + blogging = therapy.
  • Race clothes: black skirt sports skirt, RF 501 tank, drymax socks, Asics foundations, black wide Halo headband
  • Throwaway clothes: sweatshirt (throw away before the start), light long-sleeved tech shirt, pants, arm warmers, gloves, hat or headband for ears
  • Equipment: GPS watch (charged!), footpod, ipod (charged!), handheld water bottle, sunglasses
  • Carry: 2 bandaids, 2 packets of mint chocolate GU, 3 packets gatorade orange chews, pace printouts (even splits) for 4:22, 4:30, and 4:35, course strategy/elevation print out, chapstick
  • Post-race: socks, shoes, hat, gloves, undergarments, sweatshirt, pants, coat (I'll be hanging out for 1.5 hrs waiting for Jeff to finish the US only half, which doesn't start until 11am).
  • Car: phone, body glide, snacks, parking maps and race-day instructions, kindle, camera
What am I forgetting?

2 comments:

  1. You are SO ORGANIZED! I don't even know where packet pick-up is, what I'm going to wear, or even what time the fucking race starts. HAHAHA

    I like your packing list, because now I can just use yours to make sure I have everything ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmmmmm pie! I love it when a plan comes together...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...