Tuesday, February 26, 2013

13 x 13.1 in '13

2013 so far has been the year of the half marathon. I'm thinking about doing 13 half-marathons in 2013. (13 times 13.1 miles in 2013)  I'm already well on my way there.  Here's what I have planned (or completed) so far.

Month# of HalfsRaces
Jan
Feb2Groundhog, Ice Cube
Mar1Rock CF
Apr1-2Martian and/or Glass City or the Trail Half
May
Jun1RnR Seattle, or Alaska Mayor's, or Vancouver
Jul
Aug
Sep
Oct1 Grand Rapids
Nov

Dec

Tot6-7

That's halfway to 13 half-marathons planned before I had even considered a 13 in 13 goal.  I'm sure I could easily fill in the rest.  Here are some appealing options (blue): 

Month# of HalfsRaces
Jan
Feb2Groundhog, Ice Cube
Mar1Rock CF
Apr1-2Martian and/or Glass City or the Trail Half
May1-2Borgess/Kzoo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Capital City (Columbus, OH), Back to the Beach, Great Lakes Bay, Ogden Half(Wheeling, WV, on my way to PA for Memorial day)
Jun1RnR Seattle, or Alaska Mayor's, or Vancouver
Jul0-1Hungry Duck Run (Brighton)
Aug1Panda Bear Night Run*, RnR Pittsburgh, Emerald City (Dublin, OH), Boy Scouts (Bowling Green, OH)
Sep1-2Woodstock, Adrian, Detroit Women's, Brooksie Way, Capital City River Run
Oct1-2 Grand Rapids, RnR Cleveland, Towpath
Nov1Cleveland Fall Classic (my first half ever, 2005!), Veteran's Marathon (Columbia City, IN)
Dec1Sandusky Santa Hustle
Total11-16

Well that was easy.  Let's just not think about the cost, okay? I could pay off my student loans from my engineering degree that I'm not even using anymore...or I could RUN ALL THE RACES.  Clearly I'm more inclined to go with the latter.  I picked all races that are either same-day drivable, or in a location where I have friends I could stay with.  June is the exception, but Jeff and I are planning on incorporating that into a vacation, with a Seattle or Vancouver to Alaska cruise.

One of my former coworkers lives in Dublin, OH, so I would use a race in Dublin or Columbus as an excuse to visit her.  I used to live in Cleveland, so I have some friends there too, but really Cleveland is same-day drivable anyway.  This is one of the perks of night shift.  On my days off I can easily sleep in until 2am or so, which is the perfect time to wake up and get ready to drive 2-3 hrs to a sorta-far-away race.  For most of you day shifters, 2+ hrs away would necessitate a hotel stay for a morning race!  Night shift FTW!

I'm originally from PA, so I included some race options there too, though none of them are terribly close to my hometown.   On the other hand, I've never done a half in PA, so I should probably get one in there at some point. (Same with Indiana, Illinois, and West Virginia in terms of fairly close options) I am a paid member of "half2run" that thing where you run "half a marathon in half the states", but I'm kind of off the wagon on that.  I'm not even sure how many states I've done.  (Brainstorm: Ohio, Michigan, Tennessee, Nevada.  That's it.  4.  Hopefully I can add at least 1 or 2 this year with WA and PA or IN.  Still a long way off from 25!)  

I probably won't get any half-marathons in July, unless I travel somewhere.  The only viable close option was Hungry Duck in Brighton, but it's on the 4th, which I signed up to work, so it probably won't be an option.  (I have to work 2 of the 4 "summer" holidays: Memorial Day, Labor Day, July 4th, and Thanksgiving, and 1 of the 2 "winter" holidays: Christmas and New Year's.  I usually ask for Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas off, so I have to work the rest.  For a night shifter at my hospital, working the holiday is actually working 10:30pm-7am the night before.  So I would get off work at 7am July 4th.)

One of the races that really caught my eye when I was searching for these was the Panda Bear Night Run.  It starts at 9pm!  I have to do that!  And it's only a $25 registration.  I think it's put on by the same people that did the Ice Cube last weekend.  I'm kind of not looking forward to running a half in the August heat, but it will be better at night. :)

I have no idea what I want to do in May, but I better figure that out quick, because the request period for that schedule is coming up in just a couple weeks.

Do you have any input on any of the blue race options?  Have you run them before?  Are you running them this year?  Help me choose!!  

4 comments:

  1. That's a cool goal! and a lot of races, and a lot of t-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are a couple trail half in August. I did the North Country Run - largest half medal in the country. There is also a half that running fit puts on in the beginning of August.

    ReplyDelete
  3. August is hot. I think the Panda Bear will be the only one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this idea. :) I totally understand on the money part, but it will be worth it. I have seen a couple of people at Texas races who have shirts made up for 13 in 13. They have the numbers 1through 13 on the back of the shirt and mark through each number as they complete a race. I have tried to get a picture of the shirt a couple of times but the pictures have not turned out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...