Saturday, March 30, 2013

A Tri for Ty

First, a running update.  Since the half last Sunday, I have now run twice.  Thursday I did 3 miles which involved several walk breaks.  I would start walking anytime my knee started hurting too bad.  My plan was, as long as I wasn't too sore, to stick with every other day runs going forward, incorporating walk breaks as needed.  Today I went to the 501 group run with the plan of doing 3-6 miles, depending on how it felt.  I took some Aleve before I went, and put on some KT tape.  It ended up feeling really good.  Not perfect, but SO MUCH BETTER than before the half, and than my 3 miler two days ago.  I didn't even need walk breaks!  

I took this on my computer, so it's a mirror image.  It says 6.00, 9:45 average pace. 

Since I'm sticking with every other day runs, that was my last run for the depressing month of March.  February was a little lower than planned too, because I had some rest days at the very start of this injury in the middle of the month.  Sigh.  Oh well, on the up and up again now I think!



-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of you that follow me on Twitter, or that know me personally and are friends with me on facebook, know that yesterday, this happened:




I won a free entry to my choice of Martian races!!  Thanks to Refuel With Chocolate Milk!  Woo-hooo!    As of yesterday, I was thinking the 10K would be the smartest option (and that's probably still the case), but since today's run went so well, I'm thinking I should go for the half.  Next week's run plan is 3 mi, 5 mi, 10 mi.  (Monday, Wednesday, Friday), and if I can pull that off I think I'll be good with 4 mi, 6 mi, 13.1 at Martian the following week.  I promise I'll take it easy and run/walk and not care about my time.  Pinky swear.  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, many of you know this already too, but I did something crazy yesterday, somewhat spur of the moment:  


I registered for my first triathlon yesterday morning!  Just a little one, so I'm not too worried about training for the distances.  I'm sure I could cover that fine tomorrow if I wanted to.  But the chaos of the transitions and such at a triathlon are what really worry me.  So this will be a good way to bite the bullet, see what it's all about, and determine if it's something I want to continue doing in the future.  This particular race has been recommended to me by 2 ladies as a great first triathlon.  The swim is short, is an individual ("time trial"?) start, and it is a ladies' only race.  All things that bode well for the first-timer!

I will say that the triathletes I know are generally better athletes in general than the runners I know.  Many of them are better runners than strictly "runners" too.  Who knows, maybe one day I can claim the coveted "Ironman" title.  Wouldn't that be crazy awesome?  I'm not saying it's a goal.  I'm just saying it's an awesome thing to accomplish and I really admire those who have done it.

Now I just need to get my bike fixed and get on it.  And figure out WTF to wear to a triathlon.  Not looking forward to going out in public in sports bra + bike shorts or a wetsuit or really any of the triathlon options.  I won't lie, clothing options are another reason you haven't yet seen Ty trying a tri!

I put a lot of triathlon training things on my calendar.  Running Fit puts on an expo, a clinic, and a series of classes.  And of course there's the Ann Arbor Triathlon club.  I'll have to trek out somewhere for a couple open water swims in the summer too I guess.  Hopefully with all of that I'll know what to expect by the time July rolls around!

Wish me luck!  Any triathlon experts want to share some tips?

2 comments:

  1. Wow! So much good news! You are on the mend, winning entry into what sounds like a really cool race and branching out into the insanity that is triathlon. I can't wait to read about your training and your first tri. And it is totally okay to pull a skirt on over your bike shorts for the run, especially at a women's only race. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the triathlon! I'm sort of looking at doing a tri and yeah, what to wear...almost worse than prom!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...