Monday, March 11, 2013

Not in the Mood...

I'm not in the mood to write a blog post, but I promised an update today, and if I don't write this stuff today it won't get written ever.  So forgive the negativity and poor (even for me) writing.

Yesterday was Shamrocks & Shenanigans.  Thanks to poor planning on my part, and taking to long to write a blog post beforehand, I didn't get my test run started until about 4:45am.  I had to be downtown at 6am.  I did like 2.5 miles, showered, got ready, put some food in the microwave and ate on the way there in my car.  The poor planning is because I didn't allow time to properly cool-down, stretch, and ice my knee after the run.  Oops.

The run went sorta okay.  My right knee felt "funny" more than painful, except on downhill parts, when I really noticed it.  If I was basing my running or not running decisions on just that run, I would probably do a 2-3 miler every other day while I'm recovering.  More on that later.

After the rush to get out the door, I got downtown and helped unload the running fit truck from 6am-6:45am.  I had a pretty pimp outfit, if I do say so myself:


The bandana I got at Wal-Mart for $1 on that 3am trip I went on the other day.  The wig is a leftover from Halloween 2010 when Jeff and I did the Run thru Hell on Halloween dressed as a clothesline.  Yes, we ran attached like that:


Unloading the truck was good because I kept warm from moving.  Although I wish I hadn't forgotten my gloves in my purse in my car...some of the things were rough on my hands.

After the truck was unloaded I was on packet pickup duty.  That was less fun, because it was cold standing around, even though it wasn't that cold out yesterday.  It didn't help that I had forgotten my gloves and had opted to wear my running sneakers rather than warmer shoes or boots because the running shoes had green laces.   And I didn't have a coat.


I got to meet @alexis_shull, who was also on packet pickup duty.  She seemed very tired :).  Daylight savings time "Spring Forward" was that morning, so most people were shorted an hour of sleep yesterday morning.  Not ideal for day shifters when you have somewhere to by at 6am!   I didn't get tired until about 10am when it was nearing my bedtime.  After packet pickup I headed to the finish line where I broke down cardboard boxes from the pint glasses as they were emptied and handed to the runners by the other volunteers.  I left at about 10:30am.  (I got to leave early because I started early).

I don't have much else to say about volunteering.  I'll do it again.  Especially while I'm injured.  I got a race tee, a $5 gift card to Conor O'Neil's, and a discount coupon for entry into a running fit race, but I'm not sure how much that is going to be for.  They said it would come via email.

I ended up somehow not falling asleep until about 2pm yesterday, and that was only with the help of Benadryl.  I had set my alarm for 7pm so I could workout before work, but I changed it to 9pm when I realized how late in the afternoon it was.  So, I only had time to shower and eat before running out the door to work.  I was groggy and tired at work all night, and my knee starting BURNING again at work.  It's times like these that I wish I had a desk job again.  I iced it once for like 10 minutes, but it wasn't easy because one of my patients was really confused and agitated and restless and kept trying to get out of bed and pull out lines and drains and things so I couldn't get away for very long.  It was a long night.

I ended up eating way too much too, because one of my coworkers passed around Reese's/ChipsAhoy cookies.  They weren't even that good, but I had 8.  Not the end of the world by any means, but it do my calorie count any favores on a day when I hadn't even managed to workout before work.

I had a ton of things I wanted to do this morning between getting off work and going to bed, but due to a variety of reasons and time conflicts that I won't get into, most of them didn't get done.  I did squeeze in a workout video, which just pissed me off even more, because it wasn't a good one.  It's been a while since I've done it, so I forgot what it involved, but it involved things that were harder on my knee than I anticipated, and overall the workout was too easy anyway.  Weak cardio AND weak strength routines. And it hurt my knee.  What a waste.  I finally stopped it at 46 minutes in (it was 55 minutes long), but I should have stopped it earlier.  I did a bunch of lower body exercises for my ITB after that, and iced it.  Back to work on it again tonight, unfortunately.  If I wake up early enough, I might try to make it to a running store to try out some insoles, and/or a knee brace of some kind to use while I'm at work.  Work is bad enough as it is, without adding burning knee pain into the picture all night long.

So yeah, I'm in a bad mood, and I want to get a good cardio workout in, and don't know how to do it.  I need to bite the bullet and get a gym membership for the pool.  That aqua jogging thing was pretty legit.  So was swimming.  And it's not as annoying and hard to motivate myself to start as the elliptical.

Oh, and based on the pain at work, I'm back to not running again I guess.  I will probably end up walking that 10K on Sunday, if I can even do that.  I'm not optimistic.

I feel like this is the beginning of the end.  My motivation to do other workouts, including my rehab exercises, is much lower than it was last week.  I think I'm going to spiral into complete rest again, which is usually what happens when I get injured.  I'm going to spend the next 6 months on the couch with a jar of Nutella, and then have to come back from square one when I wake up and realize I've gained 50 lbs.  It's almost like I've done this before.

Good night.

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there. The mood will pass, the knee will get better and you will be running full time again soon. In the meantime, you are rocking that awesome green wig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I have a question about your blog, could you please email me? Thanks!!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a freaking hilarious halloween costume! Sweet gig volunteering!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...