Thursday, March 21, 2013

Zen Swimming

50 laps (100 lengths, or 2500 yards, or 1.4 miles) in the pool this morning, 100% arms only though, still with the pull buoy between my legs.  All forward crawl except one length breast stroke and one length backstroke, which are both extremely slow and awkward without your legs.  I'm excited to start my lessons on Tuesday.

I could totally get used to this swimming thing, even when I'm able to run again.  (Side note: I decided I'm at least starting the Rock CF half on Sunday.  If my knee gets bad, I may get my first DNF!  Yay for firsts!  A first DNF is almost as a good as PR, right?  No?  Oh.  Oh well.)  Swimming is even more relaxing than running, now that I'm able to relax and not worry about looking like a fool and/or whether or not I might drown.  Maybe it's as relaxing as running used to be, back before I was so worried about my pace for each workout, and trying to train for a PR at the next race.  I really like looking around under the water.  It's like a twilight zone.  Plus I can spy on the other swimmers and see what I'm doing wrong in my form.  :)

I'm kind of looking forward to giving up my pull buoy and starting kicking so I can get a better workout, but I'm kind of not.  It's so easy and relaxing without the kicking.  I'm getting spoiled.  I swam with my KT tape on today.  I like that it basically announced to everyone, "Hey this person isn't a swimmer, she is injured and making-do.  Don't mind her horrible no-legged swimming skills".
I did a really poor job of taping.  It's not even remotely correct (according to the video).  But at $1 a strip I wasn't going to take it off and redo it!  Next time I'll be more careful.  
I utilized the sauna twice today.  Once after my between my swim and my shower, and once after my shower.  It's so nice and warm.  I wonder if I can bring my Kindle in there....  (No I'm not trying to sweat off weight or anything silly like that.  I'm not a wrestler, I don't need to "make weight" so there's no reason to fuss over water weight. )  However, I did read somewhere yesterday that heat in a sauna can help refractory ITBS, so I figured what the hell.  I meant to ice it when I got home, but I never did get around to that.

I also discovered a cool machine today that wrings out your swimsuit so you don't have to take it home soaking wet.  I saw it before but didn't know what it was, and today I finally went up and read the instructions.  Pretty cool.  Works way better than wringing it out with your hands!  Between that and carrying it into the sauna with me it was basically bone dry by the time I left.  Oh, I wore the girls' size 20 Speedo for the first time today, which is the first one I bought last week.  It seems like they actually elongate when wet or something, because it actually felt really good.  The pink/purple adult one that I got is usually a little long by the time I'm done.  It's nice to have multiple options to rotate through.

I basically did nothing yesterday after I stuffed my face.  I think part of the reason I ate all that sugar was because I was tired when I got home from work at 8am but had wanted to stay up until about 1pm.  Sugar highs do work to keep me awake!  Not worth it though of course.  I came up with new "mantra":  "Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full, sleep when you're tired, don't be a fool."  You like it?  I think it's catchy.  I ended up staying awake until 5pm watching Mad Men on Netflix.  That's right, 5pm.  WTF right?  I was tired at 8am.  I wasn't even that into Mad Men, but it's finally getting not boring now that I'm in season 4.  Then I slept from 5pm to almost 5am.  Back to work tonight for one shift, and then off for 4 nights (I used 2 vacation days in planning for Rock CF).  Good stuff.

Today I made a smoothie for like the first time ever.  It was pretty decent.  I ate it with a spoon, like sorbet or something.  I didn't even use a recipe!  I just put stuff in the blender.  At first I didn't include the milk, but it wasn't blending and it smelled like burning, so I thought liquid might help.  Jeff will be proud, because he knows that I hate improvising when cooking!
1/2 c. skim milk, 1 c. frozen mixed berries, 1/2 banana, 30g Life's Basics Plant Protein (Vanilla)  
That would also be the first time I've used that protein powder.  I just got it a week or so ago, but I'm determined to NOT let it become a dust-collector in the pantry, like the nutritional yeast flakes, chia seeds, and god knows what else that is sitting in there.  The protein powder jar looks really big and like it will last a long time.  The serving size is "1 scoop" for 130 calories and 22g protein (I think, that's from memory, so don't quote me on that).  Anyway, when I finally dug the scoop out of the jar, it was HUGE.  Like, 1/3 to 1/2 cup if I had to guess.   If I actually use a whole scoop each time it won't last long at all!  I'll probably use about half the scoop next time.  22g of protein is a lot!  1 scoop = 35 g, so I used almost a whole scoop today.

1 comment:

  1. hey that IS pretty catchy phrase!

    I love watching people underwater too. We did some sets of kicking on our side yesterday and I was lovin' it.

    Can't wait to hear about your lessons!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...