Friday, April 26, 2013

Farewell, Ponytail. Hello, M&Ms!

As I warned I would earlier today, I hacked off all my hair:


It isn't quite what I was going for but it's good enough and it serves the purpose.  (Short!).  I wanted the sides and the back a bit longer, but they'll grow soon enough.  The back is what I really don't like, I can't really spike it at all, it just lays flat.  Overall, though, I like it more than I thought I would.  I normally (100% of the time) just pull my hair back into a ponytail with a side part while it's still wet, and that's it. I go to work with wet hair every day.  I don't remember the last time I've used my hair dryer.  (Unless you count making KT tape stick extra well to my knee.  If you count that it was just last month. :P )  I hope to keep it short forever and ever.  I don't want to go through the pain of growing it out!  I actually got it cut twice today.  He did it once and I came home and played with it and decided it wasn't idiot-proof enough (the top was too long), so I went back and told him to make it so it would still look fine with hurricane-force winds.  Now I like it better.  And it's more idiot proof.  Jeff claims he likes it, and so does everybody on facebook and twitter.  I'm not sure I believe them, but I really don't care.  I think the concept of short hair suits me, even if the "look" doesn't, and I like the way it feels.  Here's my before/after.

You can't really do much worse, hair-wise, than my before picture!  I'm still surprised how much I like it short.  
I haven't run with short hair yet, so we'll see if it has any effects there.  I'm mostly just concerned about hair product mixing with sweat and running down my face.  But my usual bandana or halo headband should take care of that.

My new running fuel came in the mail today.  You might remember I mentioned using M&Ms as long run fuel a few posts back, but lamented the lack of sodium.  (I think all those gels and chews and beans are a huge racket!  They charge you an arm and a leg for sugar with an athletic name on the front!) My genius friend Reed went with pretzel M&Ms and solved that problem.  They're not super high in sodium, but neither are most gels and chews, so they're at least equivalent there.  And they taste way better!  This would be a FORTY ounce bag of M&Ms.  Ooooh baby.

There are about 10 calories per M&M (10.6, but let's round down!), so 10 M&Ms = 1 Gu packet.   I can use that as my guideline for how many to eat on long runs and at races.  I made a rule as soon as it arrived (for me and Jeff both) that they are to be eaten ONLY during runs.  No M&Ms in front of the TV!  You hear me Jeff?!?  

Of course before I need fuel I need to manage a long run.  My knee is being stupid again.  I was thinking I should throw in the towel on all these half marathons, but I'm already registered for Cleveland May 19th and Alaska Mayor's June 22nd.  Then there's the Great Lakes Relay in July, which I'm terrified of, and also already paid for.  No rest for the weary....

I finally caved and bought a Trigger Point Grid foam roller.  I had been borrowing Reeds for a little too long, and then noticed the prices went down 25% ($40 to $30) on Amazon, so I went ahead and got one.  It feels good, versus my other two foam rollers, which usually hurt because they're too firm.  (My homemade one and a high density foam one).  This one is more like a massage.  


Not that I'm convinced that it does anything really.  *sigh*.

Tomorrow I'm going to yoga, and then swimming, and then heading down to Toledo to hit the Glass City Marathon Expo.  I'm doing the marathon relay with Katie and her sister and their friends.  I want to make sure to hit the expo because a race I just found out about this week is giving out 10% off early registration coupons at a booth there apparently.  It's the Monroe Half Marathon, and this year is it's first year.  And it's in November, which is the month I was complaining about having perfect weather but not enough races!  Although, it is on November 10th, which is the same weekend as ALL the halfs in November.  I found 6 races in driving distance (WI, IN, MI, OH), and they are all that same weekend, November 9th or 10th!  What the heck?  Still, this one is closest, and should be a nice small but fun race.  That weekend was the only weekend left on my race calendar that still said "TBD" so I'm glad to have picked one!

Anyway, so the Glass City Marathon relay this weekend will be my first ever relay.  Doing a relay was one of my goals this year, so I'm excited for that.  I ended up finding somebody to work for me last night so I could have a long stretch off (6 off instead of 2 off, 1 on, 3 off), so I could convert to sleeping at night and take part in all the "festivities" this weekend.  I am going down to the expo tomorrow, then out to dinner with Katie, her sister, and the other two team members, then we are all staying in a hotel (two rooms) for a "slumber party" (haha!) then racing Sunday morning!  Katie even made us all matching sparkle skirts and headbands.  Should be fun!  Look forward to a race recap on Sunday or Monday.

3 comments:

  1. The relay is so much fun. I did the Detroit Relay in 2010 and ran the second leg from Canada back to the USA through the tunnel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you are going to have a blast this weekend. Have fun! Oh, and I love the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loooove it! I dried my hair when I went out for a friend's bday a couple of weeks ago. Beyond that...I have no idea!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...