Thursday, April 11, 2013

Highs and Lows

This post is long and boring, and whiny.  I don't recommend reading it.  I'm writing it as more of a journal, for catharsis.  Or something.

I was in such a great mood yesterday after winning that race, and seeing the WCC gym, and finding out about the free initiation.  And then today happened.

I went to bed at about 8am, and decided to wake up at 11:45 am to go to lunch with Jeff, to make sure I'd wake up so I could sleep at night tonight (I have 9 days off night shift, with classes during the day, so I need to get switched around).   I told Jeff to come home and wake me up if I was sleeping, and we could go eat.  I thought I set the alarm, but apparently I didn't set it right, because I woke up at 1:30pm. The alarm I understood, but what happened to Jeff?  Yeah, apparently he got busy at work and forgot me and ate lunch by himself.  Thanks dear.  So now I'm tired, but not sleep deprived enough to be able to sleep through the night tonight without some pharmacological assistance.  Drat.

My next "appointment" was my group run at 6:15 pm, so I killed time blogging until then.  I knew it was at 6:15, but somehow I was thinking 6:30, so I was still at home and not dressed at 6pm and didn't have time to foam roller before the run, and was almost too late to run with them! (I got there at like 6:15pm exactly) I had planned an easy 6, but even jogging to the store from the parking lot didn't feel great on my right side (hip/ham-ass OR knee).  Plus, I was severely underdressed.  I had looked at the weather and seen 39 degrees, but didn't go outside to test my clothing.  I put on a long sleeved tech tee and capris (and actually considered shorts) and headed out.  Turns out it was a windchill of 26.  I could have used gloves and another shirt for sure.  It was cold.  Then, within 2 blocks of starting the run, I totally wiped out, and now have road rash on my left hand, left knee, and left hip.  I would take a picture but I can't find my phone.  Awesome.  I'm the clumsiest person on the planet, and I was past due for a fall, but that doesn't make it any more fun.  I wouldn't even care that much, except having open skin on your hands is the WORST when you're a nurse.  At least my capris didn't get ripped.  That would have made me really angry.  I ran a super easy pace to take it easy on my leg so I never really even got warm, I was cold the whole time.  It was a pretty bad run.  We only did 3.86 miles.

Afterward, Jeff and I went to dinner, so I didn't go home and do my leg exercises.  If I'm being honest, I didn't do them after Monday's run either (I put them off until Tuesday).  No wonder I'm hurting again.  Actually I'm pretty sure Monday is the main reason I'm hurting again.  I got cocky, and stupid.

Last wednesday, I ran 5 with an 8:45 average pace, and it felt pretty good.  Not easy, but not miserable.  Then, the 10 miler with Andrea on Friday went really well too.  We averaged 9:45, and I felt great at the end, and wouldn't have minded speeding up to a 9:00 pace for the last couple miles.  After those two good runs with relatively little pain and a good pace, I thought I was superwoman.  I decided to go to the Monday night Running Fit group run.   I usually don't go to that one because the normal attendees are pretty fast.  I felt that I'd be able to do 4 miles at about 8:30 pace "comfortably" and hoped that would be fast enough to hang with them.

And it would have been.  If I could have done it.  They were actually only doing about 8:50 pace, which should have been fine, but for some reason, wasn't.  I was struggling from the very beginning.  I don't know if it was because I had gone spinning less than 12 hours ago (for the first time in almost 2 months), or from the comparatively hilly route (compared with last Wednesday), or the pressure of planning on keeping up.  I don't know.  But it wasn't good.  Nothing felt smooth either, I could feel that my form was way off.  I ended up stopping to walk sometime after 4 miles, which I justified since I had only planned four in the first place.  I went swimming after, and then was tired and skipped my leg exercises.  At least I made them up the next day.  Tomorrow I won't do them because then I'll be too sore for Martian.  Or maybe I will.  I'm not racing anyway, and maybe they'll help my leg feel more back to normal.  Really I should get up and go do them right now.  But I'm not.  Hopefully tomorrow (and Martian) go better.  At least these bad days knocked down my expectations a bit and I won't run too hard.  I'm aiming for 2:10 again I guess.  Suddenly I'm wishing I hadn't signed up to volunteer at the expo tomorrow.  6 hours on my feet the day before the "race" isn't ideal.

Today and yesterday my eating was terrible too.  I did manage to cut my losses and not go completely overboard, but it was pretty bad.  Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...