Monday, April 22, 2013

PB2 + Torani Sugar Free Syrups

I am addicted to a new concoction recently.  It's pretty flexible and can be used a variety of ways.  And it's delicious.  Those of you that don't eat nuts, artificial sweeteners, chocolate, or gluten, can probably stop reading now.  :)


I discovered PB2 a while ago from Runs for Cookies.  I liked the idea: peanut butter without all the fat and calories!  It's powdered peanut butter with all the oils removed, that you reconsitute by adding water.  At first, I didn't really like it, and didn't really know what to use it for.  Now that I've discovered mixing it with sugar-free coffee syrups though, I'm addicted.  Here's one of my favorites:


Whole grain waffles with "PB2 syrup" and mini chocolate chips:
  • PB2 syrup = 3 Tbsp PB2 [68 cals], 1 Tbsp Torani sugar free hazelnut syrup [0 cal], 1 Tbsp water. Mix well.   
  • 2 Whole grain Eggo Waffles [170 cals]
  • 2 Tbsp Nestle mini chocolate chips [140 cals]
  • Total = 378 calories.  You could get away with less chocolate chips if you weren't as much of a chocoholic as me.  Also, you can use basically any flavor of coffee syrup.  I like the hazelnut since it's "nutty" but I've tried chocolate, caramel, and vanilla, and they're all good. 
It tastes way better than PB2 and water as instructed on the package.  You can also vary the ratio of liquid to PB2 powder to make the "syrup" thicker and spreadable like real peanut butter.    I generally use a 3:2 (PB2:liquid) ratio for a syrupy or pouring consistency, and a 2:1 ratio for a thicker, spreading consistency.  I also sometimes use milk instead of water when making the "syrup" or "spread".  I bet the "syrup" recipe above would be really good on ice cream too, but I haven't tried that yet.  With bananas and chocolate chips of course, when I do make it.


Another way I've been loving this mix is as a smoothie.

PB2 Banana Smoothie
  • 1/2 of an extra large banana
  • 1/2 c skim milk
  • 1/2 c crushed ice
  • 1 Tbsp Torani sugar free chocolate syrup
  • 2 Tbsp PB2
  • Total approx = 175 calories
Again, you can play with the proportions.  I haven't measured the milk or the ice really, I just dump it in.  If you want it on the sweeter side I'd add more Torani.  Again, I don't think the flavor of the syrup really matters, but I've only used the chocolate in the smoothie.

And finally, protein-heavy "breakfast cookies", modified from the "2 ingredient cookies" seen floating around the web. 

Chocolate Chip PB2 Banana Breakfast Cookies
  • 2 tbsp torani sugar-free syrup, any flavor
  • 2 tbsp nestle mini chocolate chips
  • 1.5 tbsp pb2 powdered peanut butter (chocolate or regular)
  • 1 serving (1/2 cup) quaker quick oats
  • 1 large egg white
  • 80 g mashed banana
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheet well (important!)
  2. Mix all ingredients
  3. Bake 15 minutes.
 Total = 444 calories.  Makes about 6-8 cookies depending on the size, so 75 ish calories per cookie.  They have kind of a weird texture, but the flavor isn't bad. You could ditch the egg white and they wouldn't be as gelatinous.  Sorry I don't have a picture of these.  I would make them and take one, but I'm at work. :)  You know it's a good night when I write a blog post AND do my leg exercises that I skipped earlier today, among other things.  Doesn't happen very often, but I'll take it!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...