Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Leg Day

It's been a little while since I've done any strength training (since last Monday).  I took a few days off lifting leading up to my tri.  But today was the day to get back at it, according to my fancy schmancy plan I shared with you yesterday.

I did a 3 mile run first.  It went fine.  I'm trying to keep good form, according to the recommendations I got after my form analysis when I first went to PT several months ago.  One of the things they recommended was that I increase my cadence from 164 to 170.  I happened to wear my foot pod today (it was already on today's shoes) so I checked out the cadence data:

The foot pod reports single leg cadence, so multiple x2: mile 1 - 164, mile2 - 164, mile 3 - 164.  LOL.  At least I'm consistent.

After that was freaking legs.  Can you tell how much I enjoyed it?  I mostly focus on glutes, hamstrings, and hip abductors.  I start with the really hard stuff and work my way down to the easier stuff.  People have asked me what kind of exercises I do, so here ya go.

  • Pistol squats: 3x15 on each leg (45 total per leg).  I have to use my Woss trainer to help; I can't do a decent pistol squat unassisted.  If you don't have a suspension trainer you can stand in the middle of a doorway and use your arms to help from the sides.  If I'm at the gym I substitute single-leg leg-press for these.  
  • Hamstring Triple Threat:  Ouch.  I really hate these.  3x10 of each of the 3 parts of the exercise.  (Do them in the reverse order from what's shown in the video: 10 of part 3, 10 of part 2, 10 of part 1, then repeat the whole sequence twice).  Sometimes if I am feeling lazy I just do glute bridges (single leg or combined) on the floor, which is nowhere near the same level of effort, lol.  
  • Clamshells:  I use a resistance band tied around my legs AND a 10 lb dumbbell.  I find that the band doesn't give enough resistance at the start of the move unless I make it super tight, and then it's too hard for the rest of the move.  If I use just a dumbbell, it gets too easy on the 2nd half of the move after the weight goes above 45 degrees or so.  So using both at the same time gives me good resistance throughout the whole move (dumbbell for the first half, resistance band for the 2nd half).  I do 3x15 on each side. 
  • Straight Leg Lifts: I do these with a 5 lb ankle weight, and I keep the opposite leg straight and down on the ground.  I feel it more in my hip flexors than my quads.  I do 3 x 15 on each side.  There is standing cable/FreeMotion machine at the gym that I use for this effect if I'm there.  
  • Side-lying hip abduction:  Similar to the above, 3x15, 5 lb ankle weight.  If I'm at the gym I just do the regular hip abduction machine instead of this and the clamshells.  
  • Prone Hip Extension:  I do 3x15 each side with a 5 lb ankle weight.  

I think that's all I did today.  It doesn't look like much on paper, but those first two exercises kill.  Plus I don't have all damn day!  Also I'm just really freaking lazy.  I sometimes rotate in other things, though not as consistently as the above exercises.  I love me a good Theraband monster walk, and some walking lunges now and then too (lunges frequently irritate my knee so I'm laying off for now.)

On to the lighter side:  I found this video somewhere today, and it made me laugh.  Warning: crude language and definitely NSFW!

Finally, I want to reiterate that triathlons are freaking expensive.  This is my current shopping cart at REI.com:
Total = $465!!!  And that doesn't include everything I "need" right now.  I should also add clipless pedals and a mirror for my helmet, and god knows what else.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'm going to try to wait until I pay off the bike itself, which is still mostly lingering on my credit card.

Tomorrow: Swim + upper + core.  Last day the pool is open at my gym.  :(


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...