Monday, July 29, 2013

Plans

I survived my triathlon.  Now what?  The only other race I have scheduled right now is the Detroit Women's Half Marathon in September, and that's only because I won a free entry back in April at the tri club kickoff meeting.  I'm not super committed to it, and I'm definitely not jumping back on the 13 x 13.1 in '13 bandwagon.  I'm not ready to go back to being run-focused.  I'm not sure if I ever will be.  While I was in class today, I mapped out a potential weekly workout schedule, with the goal of getting everything (upper body, lower body, & core strength, as well as swimming, biking, and running) in twice a week.  I also wanted to map in one rest day a week since I have been tending to skimp on that recently.  Here is what I came up with:

Monday: Rest.  (I did this today!  I'm so proud of myself!)
Tuesday: Run + lower body strength training 
Wednesday:  Swim + upper body + core.  (During the month of August I may skip the swim since the pool is closed at my gym.  I can substitute a workout class instead). 
Thursday: Bike + run (Brick workout with the AA triathlon club. )
Friday: Swim + upper body + core (Swim with tri club at Silver Lake at Pinckney Rec)
Saturday: Long run + lower body (Plan to get back into the habit of long runs with RF 501 downtown)
Sunday: Long bike ride (Buddies welcome on this one! (actually buddies welcome on anything...)  Just let me know if you want to meet somewhere to ride.)

I color coded it so you could count the matching items more easily.  You're welcome.  I guess I settled on 3 runs.  So much for not being "run focused".  It still wins.  But honestly, the running part is the hardest part to "wing" IMHO.  So, now that that's settled (I'm not sure why I bother, it's not like I have ever stick to this kind of plan!), I can move on to deciding whether I'm going to do that half in September.  Assuming my knee continues to cooperate (no pain today, despite the 5K yesterday!), a mileage ramp up to a half marathon September 22nd should be doable.  

Run ramp up plan.  
Pretty minimal mileage, I know, but I'm not worried; not with all the cross training and lifting I'll be doing.  My main goal is to stay healthy and not be sidelined again.  *Fingers crossed*. 


I'm leaning toward doing something triathlon-y on August 25th at the Last Chance 2 Tri at Waterloo Rec.  Possibly the Olympic Distance triathlon (pending knee feedback), the Olympic Aquabike, or another Sprint Tri.  

What do you think of my plan?  I like it, but I may be biased.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on surviving your first triathlon -- great job! Your plan sounds good, and I hope your knee holds up OK. If not, plans are made to be adjusted anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...