Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Odds & Ends, Exhaustion, and Insanity

I am freaking exhausted.  I actually got to be the scrub nurse in my room all day today for the first time (vs classroom activities, etc the past few weeks).  Standing is hard work.  Harder than running around like crazy and lifting patients IMHO.  My back was killing me.   After work, I took about 3 minutes to gear up and then headed out for a 3 mile run that I wanted to squeeze in before my 4:30pm PT appointment.  The first mile was really hard but after that it got a little easier.  I changed out of my sweaty clothes and hurried to PT after that, where he kicked my ass from 4:30pm to 6pm.  I have been struggling to keep my eyes open since I finished eating dinner at 6:45pm.

This is so true.  It's even better now because I don't have to wear or wash my own scrubs, I just get them out of a machine in the locker room and throw them in the linen bin at the end of the day.  Freaking awesome.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow.  I would normally swim, then do upper body and core, but the pool is still closed.  I could drive to the lake to swim (30 min drive), use a guest pass at another gym (25 min drive), pay $5 to swim at Fuller pool here in A2, or skip the swim completely and just gym it.  I was thinking maybe the rowing machine might be a good substitute?  Then arms and a pilates or yoga class.  I'd rather do yoga because the Wednesday pilates class is pretty easy, but I'm terrible at working my core independently, and I really need to focus on that to help with back pain from standing all day.  Or maybe I could just take a nap....

-------------------------

I am so pissed at myself.  I ruined a pair of shoes at my triathlon when I crammed my feet into them without untying them.  I used to do that all the time and finally got in the habit of untying my shoes after ruining several pairs.  It's been a while since I've made that mistake.  These shoes only have 90 miles on them and now the heel is bent in and rubs on my right achilles.  I thought I could get away with using them for short runs, but I got a blister after a measly 3 miler today.  My only recourse is prophylactic bandaids or moleskin when I wear them.  I'm not retiring these shoes with less than 100 miles on them.  Plus they're 2170s, which are my favorite, but are discontinued, so I really can't afford to lose them.

---------------------

After my group run Saturday Coach G did a pretty good job convincing me to jump back on the 13 in 13 bandwagon.  I didn't commit, but I did register for the Run Woodstock trail half in the beginning of September, AND I mapped out a race plan that would get me to 13 in 13.  I wasn't planning on registering for anything until I tested the waters with a long run or two, but there you have it.   I am telling myself that I will go slow.  I'm telling myself that it is okay to do half marathons three weekends in a row because they will be training runs and I won't race them.  That worked *great* for me in January-March.


We'll see what happens.  I'm pretty excited about Woodstock though.  I registered to camp two nights, and invited my friend Michelle (the person who got me started running way back when!) to come join me all the way from Cleveland, and she agreed.  It will be so fun!  I just need to get camping supplies...back to REI I go!


----------------------------
I did some research and asked around, and got some helpful comments on my last blog post,  and the verdict is that you do NOT wear underwear under bike shorts.  Good to know. I will try biking commando on Thursday at the brick.  Apparently I should also get some kind of girly-parts-grease (That's my term.  The technical term is "chamois cream." Examples include bag balm and "Hoo Ha Ride Glide").  I haven't had any chafing issues yet, but I guess it's a common problem as the miles and hours on the bike increase.  Oh the things I have to look forward to.  I bought some mens underwear anyway, even though I won't wear them on the bike.  They look comfortable, don't they??

From Amazon
Thanks to one blog lurker, Teresa, for coming out of the shadows to comment on my last post and share in my underwear pain.  I will share my underwear review when they arrive.  :)


3 comments:

  1. Before my first triathlon, I came across something online that mentioned using Yankz in place of shoelaces. I ordered a pair and they've been good so far on my one pair of shoes. There's also a brand called Lock Laces. Maybe look into something like that? I've been able to slip into my shoes pretty quickly and easily without any problems.

    Running Warehouse has some on this page:

    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-RSTUFF.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to go back to lurking, but since you mentioned me in your post I feel like I have to comment, haha. Let us know how the men's underwear workout, maybe I will steal a pair of my hubby's, he wears a similar kind to the ones in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all about the Hoo Ha Ride Glide. I tried a couple of others and that one works best for me.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...