Thursday, December 26, 2013

Birthday Run

Well, that's it.  My twenties are officially over!  Happy 30th birthday to me!   To celebrate I, of course, went for a run.  And ate a lot of chocolate.
My sister posted these 3 things on facebook in honor of my birthday.   I thought it was pretty funny.  Some things never change (re: me and cake in the kitchen!).  The bottom right one was taken Christmas eve in PA.  The bottom left one is a bit older. ;)

My runs have been sucking recently, because I live on a dirt road now and it's been covered in snow/ice, so I've had to wear my Yaktrax and watch my footing.  I've gotten some new music recently and have really been craving running fast, so I decided today I would drive somewhere that I wouldn't have to fight for footing.  Of course, when I woke up this morning there were a few fresh inches of snow down.  Figures.  I drove to Kensington Metropark, and hoped it would be plowed.

I'm glad I did.  It was perfect.  You can't tell from the photos but it was still snowing while I was out there too.   It's only about a 10-15 minute drive to get there from my new place, so I will definitely be going more often.


Non-runners apparently don't understand why we run.  They think it's for vanity, fighting for a better body, or to impress people, or who knows what else.  But it isn't true, for most of us.  Running is like a combination of meditation and a high.  Better than any drug.   Not every run, but enough of them to keep us coming back for more, waiting for another amazing one.  Like today's.

I had the scenery you see throughout this blog post, and an amazing playlist, and a milestone birthday to boot.  This song is the one I repeated the most.  Love it!!  Close your eyes, play this song, and imagine running through the snowy park.  Awesome, right??

Bastille - "Pompeii".  There's also some pretty neat acoustic versions out there: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytie995zY-Q

The only bad part about today's run was that they only plowed the first 4.7 miles of the 8 mile loop.  The last 3.3 miles were spent trying not to roll an ankle!  (The bottom right photo shows the unplowed part)  It wouldn't have been bad if it was just the fresh powder from last night, but it was powder on top of old hard crusty lumpy foot-printed stuff from before.   I had only planned 4-6 miles, but it was too awesome to turn around at the 2 or 3 mile mark, so I decided to go for the whole 8 mile loop.  I might have chosen differently if I had known the terrain was going to change so drastically for the last few miles! 

Possibly the best thing about a winter run at Kensington?  A heated bathroom with running water (even if you can't drink it!) AND toilet paper.  Nobody appreciates a good bathroom like a runner.  Especially one who has shit their pants once or twice while running. Not naming names.  


I have more pictures from today than I do words.  Sorry.  But, you know, "a picture is worth a thousand words" and all that.



I love how pink my left leg is in the bottom right photo!  Note to self: do a better job covering my ankles! 

Safety first! 

Do you see my lonely car??

After my run I got ready for my birthday date with Irina.  We went to Red Robin and she gave me a bag of Ghirardelli chocolates too. Thank you Irina!  Love you! (Sorry we forgot to take any pictures together.  I took this one when I got home after she texted me yelling at me for not taking any with her!)

I owed y'all a pic of my new glasses anyway.  I know you can't tell the difference, but trust me, they're very different!  They're bigger/thicker, and they're brown/blue instead of black.
The rest of my birthday was spent unpacking, eating chocolate, and playing cards with my new roommate.  Roomie Rummy, as it were.  :P  I lost.  Bad.

Since this post is already photo heavy, and I haven't mentioned Christmas otherwise, here are a few from my day in PA with my family for Christmas.

My nephew Caleb and I playing with the easel I got him for christmas.  It is a chalkboard on one side, a dry erase board on the other, and of course a roll of paper is there that can be pulled onto either side for painting.  He is obscenely cute.   We also just found out that he is getting a baby sister!  (I knew my little sister was pregnant, but we didn't find out until Christmas day that it is going to be a girl).
Cutest. Reindeer.  Ever.
My brother (left), sister, and brother-in-law modeling their ugly Christmas attire (there was a contest).  
My dad doing some baby-balancing.  I grew up doing similar acrobatics.  :)  
I guess that's all I have.  Sorry for the photo-heavy post with not much in the way of words.  Better than nothing, I hope! 

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday! Very well put, well said, and I wish I was you today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! Beautiful pictures. It looks like it was a really nice run. I got a baby pack of Ghiradelli chocolates for Christmas and they're already gone. I appreciate what a nice treat that must have been for your birthday. If we ever end up doing the same race (hopefully some day we will), we'll share an age group for the next 9 months. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you had a great birthday! Ah that scenery is beautiful. I can just hear the stillness with all of the snow. Love that! Looks like you had a great Christmas, the ugly sweater contest looks - um, interesting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday. I'm heading for 30 this year too. Although, my aunt has been telling people I'm 30 since the week after I turned 29.

    I can't imagine running in the snow. All I can think of is COLD. But it looks fun.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...