Sunday, December 1, 2013

Race Planning....or not

Happy 1st of December!  I turn the big 3-0 this month!

Moving on.

After my half marathon (and 10k!) PRs over the past couple weeks I got excited for race and training planning.  Below are some of the bigger events I planned on doing:

12/15/13 - Sandusky Santa Shuffle Half Marathon
03/30/14 - Ann Arbor Full Marathon (what?!?)
08/10/14 - Ironman 70.3 Steelhead (half-iron)

Of course whatever 5Ks and 10Ks I feel like doing in between would be scattered in there too.  I even went so far as to create my marathon training plan!  I didn't actually register (I was still leery of my knee, which, *spoiler alert*, turned out to be wise), but I figured I could follow the training plan and then register later on if it went well.

I know that's too small to read.  Click here to view document, or click the image to enlarge.  Running portion of plan from the FIRST training website.  The words (Apollo, Poseidon, Bia, etc) are codes for strength workouts from the RunnersConnect Strength Training program.  The paces on the right are my personal goal paces for each type of run.  
Well, I jinxed I myself.  My knee has been sore since Wednesday.  :\  Not terribly so, but enough for me to notice, even just sitting around.  Nothing flares up a knee injury like planning speed-work and a marathon-prep long runs, apparently.  I knew even thinking about a full marathon at this point was probably not super-bright, but I picked a low mileage plan and planned to continue the strength training and thought I might just be able to pull it off.  Marathon training isn't nearly as intimidating as it used to be.  Really it's just 3 long runs!  12 miles is so common for me to do, that it's not that scary anymore, and 14 is barely more than 12.  So really, only 16 miles and up are the sucky ones, and there's only 3 of them in my plan!  A 16, an 18, and a 20!  No big, right?  That was my thought last week anyway.  Now I'm not so sure.  The really sad thing was that this was a down week.  I was being cautious on the heels of my half last weekend and did a 4, 5, & 6 this week, with no real "long" run at all.  Fat lotta good that did me.

All is not lost though.  I have a rest day tomorrow.  Maybe it will settle down.  If not I'll just take a few steps back again.  Better to be able to run a little, than not at all!  I am going through some major life overhauling (divorce, moving, etc) and I wouldn't be able to survive it without running (and good music!)  Speaking of music, here are a couple of new additions to my playlist that I'm loving right now:

AWOLNATION - "Kill Your Heroes"

Young the Giant - "Cough Syrup"

St. Lucia - "All Eyes on You"

In non-running news, Irina and I went out for a movie and sushi this week.  We saw The Hunger Games - Catching Fire, which I enjoyed.  I have been off work for NINE days, and am really, really really, not looking forward to going back tomorrow!  Hope your Thanksgivukkah was wonderful!  Here are some scenes from my week off: 

Sushi with Irina!!  Las Vegas Roll FTW!  (:


 My medal rack is down.  Sad panda.  ): I'll put it back up after I move though!


Sneaking a coffee into the theater under my arm.  Success.  

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Interesting. If you live near ann arbor, (which you do) you need to run that event at least once. I think this year they are making the marathon two loops, which is probably a good thing. You got this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay birthday month! You need to tell that knee to knock off the drama :) You are looking forward to so many wonderful things...exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Biggby FTW!

    I remember looking up the Sandusky Santa Shuffle a few months back. I considered it for a minute. Shame it doesn't weave through the park more.

    Happy Birthday! I hit 30 next month.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...