Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Having a sad. A post about emotional eating.

 I was supposed to swim today, but I had an appointment after work and by the I was done I was really not in the mood.  I was in bit of a funk in general, and decided to make today a rest day and swim on Friday instead (Friday is usually a rest day).

I've been really pretty positive/happy the past few months, by my standards, and pretty consistently productive as well, but today it was just not happening.  I contemplated what to do about it and ultimately settled on the following:


Chocolate chips and crumbled animal crackers added to the leftovers in the jar.  
I borrowed some of Jeff's clothes.  :P
Emotional eating at it's finest.  The thing is, I'm not at all bothered by it.  I made a conscious decision to do it.  I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with emotional eating, as long as you recognize it for what it is, and don't use it as your only coping mechanism, or use it all the time.  Today, I 100% knew in advance that I wasn't hungry, and was eating strictly for comfort.  I gave my self full permission and went ahead with it.  Contrast this with times when I would have battled myself and tried to told myself I "shouldn't" or that I'd get fat, or that I'm weak, blah blah blah.  In those cases I would have ultimately succumbed (even if it was days later), and when I did, it would be a guilt-ridden, large-volume, binge-taculous disaster.  Today, I ate as much as I wanted, then stopped, and didn't really worry about it anymore.  I'm not feeling guilty (which would just lead to eating more, as illogical as that is), I'm not adding miles or minutes to my workout tomorrow.  I'm not limiting my food intake to "make up for it" tomorrow.  I'm not thinking about it tomorrow, except perhaps to be proud of myself for being one step closer to a healthy relationship with food.  One of the benefits of not being at a super low and restrictive weight, is that you have more wiggle room for days like today, without fear of having your jeans size change.

Important note:  Some of you may know that I am staying at my old house tonight and tomorrow night to dog sit.  The very astute among you may have recognized said house from the photo above.  Because of this, I would like to clarify that my "sad" today has absolutely nothing to do with being around my old house, husband, dogs, etc.  I am very happy with the simplicity and freedom I have now compared to before.

Sorry this post was uber depressing.  I have some links I'd like to share with you as well, if that's okay.  Just things I've read over the past few weeks/months that I've loved, and never got around to sharing here:

Treat Your Body Like a Truck, Not a Trophy.  
I have a lot more, but I really want you to read them, so in the interest of not overwhelming you into not clicking through them at all, I'll stop at those few for now.  Let me know what you think!  

1 comment:

  1. Love it. I agree that emotional eating isn't bad as long as it isn't all the time. Plus, food is delicious. The guilt can be worse than the calories!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...