Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Nursing A Cold and a Craigslist Hug

I don't get sick very often, and when I do it's very mild, so I'm not complaining.  BUT I have a cold.  Basically a funny feeling in my head with a sore throat for 2 days that has now turned into a little sneezing and a lot of runny nose (no more sore throat).

I'm always torn about whether to go to work or not, and whether to workout or not, when I'm sick.  On the one hand, I don't feel that bad really, it's just annoying.  On the other hand, from the work perspective, I don't want to get anybody sick; and from the working out perspective, I don't want to overdo it.

I ended up going to work and then going to the gym after, but taking it pretty easy and modifying my workout.   Work was...interesting.

I was scrubbing today, which means I am involved in the surgery and sterile and can't really touch anything.  Blowing my nose is certainly not an option.  I had taken some DayQuil so I thought I was going to be fine, but not long into the 1st case my nose was running.  Into my mouth.  With nothing to be done about it.  So that was unacceptable.  For the second case I fixed the problem:

Step 1: Stuff each nostril with rolled up 2x2" gauze.

Step 2: Secure stuffing with very sticky tape.

Step 3: Cover with mask and pretend to be a normal human being.  Voila!  No more snot running down my upper lip.

Sexy, right?  Hey, it worked like a charm!  And nobody could even tell!  When I did this in the ICU it was obvious that something was funky, because normally we don't wear masks.  So people were always asking why I was wearing one.  In the OR, it's standard attire.  Another point for the operating room!

And I'm not concerned about my patients.  I have to scrub my arms to above my elbows, wear a gown, two pairs of gloves, and a mask.  I don't think they're going to be getting any of my cooties.

The only bad part of the setup was that I lost my nose ring.  It apparently got stuck to the tape so when I pulled it off and threw it away the nose ring went with it. :(  That was a nice one too.  Damnit.  Although, I did find my prescription safety glasses (see photos!) so that's a win!

After work I went to the gym.  I was still not feeling up to par, but I knew I could handle a gentle run and some strength training and would probably feel better for it, so that's what I did.  Instead of my planned speed session (4x1600m w/ 400m recoveries, plus warmup and cooldown), I just did an easy 3 mile jog.  Then a core workout, and a hamstring/glutes workout.  I actually considered riding the bike after I got home since I missed biking on Sunday due to the Winter Sports Crawl, but ultimately didn't because I got hungry.  Good thing.  That probably would have been overdoing it ;).

Dinner.  Mexican tortilla soup, bread (plus LOTS of butter), and broccoli (plus cheese and salt!)  Kind of my standard/favorite these days.  
 I can't believe I am still sore today from Sunday's sporting activities!  My whole body is sore!  I'll have to do more of that sort of thing.  It has GOT to be good cross-training! That's another reason I decided to go ahead and work out today, despite being sick.  Nothing fixes muscle soreness from working out like working out does.  :P
---------------------------
Okay, so I have to tell this story.  I was sitting at Starbucks writing this blog post, waiting to meet somebody from craigslist who was supposed to buy my old scrubs from me, since I don't need them anymore.  I had sent her the address, and she was supposed to be there between 6:15 and 6:30, so I showed up at 6:20 and figured I'd just kill time on the internet until she got there.  At 7pm I texted her for an update, to which she responded she was still on the way.  At 7:25 she texted me that she was here, but asked a weird question about streets.  Turns out she was in downtown Ann Arbor, nowhere near the address I provided (which was closer to Ypsi).  She had driven all the way in from Flint for these stupid scrubs, and she clearly had no direction sense whatsoever, so I directed her to a free/public parking lot and then drove over to meet her there.  I get there and she's a very cheerful girl, very excited for a sweet deal on scrubs, and tries to hand me $60 instead of the $50 I was charging, because neither of us had change, and because she felt she should pay me "gas money".  Of course that was ridiculous, so I just took $40.  (I have a bad habit of talking down people who are trying to give me money, and bargaining upward when I'm buying things.  Seriously.  It happens all the time.  A guy offered me $1000 for my car and I sold it to him for $500.  My last landlord asked for $200 and I gave him $300.)   Anyway, before she left, she asked if she could give me a hug!!  So funny!  I'm not a hugger but hey, what the hell.  Who can turn down a craigslist hug??  Some people are awesome.
-------------------------
In other people-related news, Tinder is sucking up my life.  Don't install it on your phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...