Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sleepy Saturday

Yesterday was an impossibly busy, sleepy, and awesome day.  I didn't get home until 1:15 am Friday night/Saturday morning (don't ask...) but had made plans to run with a subset of the 501 group that was starting at 5:30 am Saturday morning.  Normally I would just opt out and run later, but I was super excited to run with them because they're the same pace as me and were planning the same distance as me (16 miles), AND they're freaking awesome girls. It's the same group I was supposed to run the GLR with last July, but ended up giving my spot to Michelle due to my knee/IT band problems.  And you know I'm on a mission to make friends.  (Side note: I went a little overboard on the friend-seeking this week.  All three of my runs this week were buddy-runs!  Tuesday and Thursday (plus Thursday dinner) with a guy from one of my running groups, and Saturday with the ladies mentioned above).  
Taken on North Campus at mile 14 or so.  
Right, so the alarm went off at 4:45 am, 3 hours and 15 minutes after I went to sleep, and I was pretty sure I was going to die.  But I got up, and I'm so glad I did.  The weather was great when we started (26 F, 13F windchill) but it got progressively colder as the morning went on.  By the middle I was really quite cold and uncomfortable.  I was even wearing mittens!  When I checked the temp at the end of the run (16 miles done before 8:30am!  Awesome!) it said 7 degrees with a windchill/RealFeel of -6.   But it didn't matter because we had a blast.  The pace was perfect, and we even hit some decent hills.  



I am feeling really confident about the marathon on March 30th, and don't think I'll have any trouble at all hitting my goal of sub-10:00 min/mile pace.  I'm amazed at how strong I'm feeling, especially on just 3 days per week of running.  Every time I do a "hard" run, whether it be a faster pace or a longer distance, I'm amazed at how "fresh" I still feel at the end.  It's like I could do that shit all day.  (Check out Thursday's 6.3 miles at 8:39 average pace, including some rough footing).  Awesome.  I seriously think it's the strength training.  I'm sold.  I might just have a PR at every distance in me for 2014.  I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

Back to Saturday.  After we finished our run, we went to the Broken Egg for breakfast.  I had never been there before and had heard mixed reviews, but as soon as I saw this on the chalkboard, I was sold:


The waitress was very amused that I made her go get me artificial sweetener for my coffee, and then ordered the Elvis Presley.  And then, after I got it, made her go get me a huge cup of additional powdered sugar to add to it.  In hindsight, I should've asked for honey.  I think that would have been better.
My food, start to finish.  RUNGER!!!  
Here's everybody else's goods.  I was the only one that finished my meal.  Cuz I'm a rockstar like that.  That thing had a shit-ton of crunchy peanut butter on it.  AWESOME. 
Breakfast was amazing.  I was freezing though, so I went to the bathroom and took off my wet bra and shirt and just ate breakfast wearing a jacket.  HAHA.  It was warmer that way.  At one point I laughed so hard I had banana oozing out the corners of my mouth.  Classy.  I'm pretty sure the other patrons of the restaurant were glad when we left.  We had to be the most loud, obnoxious, sweaty, and smelly group of 30- & 40-something women to ever enter that place.

After breakfast I went home and had the best hot shower ever (I say that after every winter long run), and then got ready to make the 2.5 hour drive to Cleveland, where I helped Michelle move into her new house that she just bought.  (Yay!  Congrats Michelle!)  I was only there for about 5 hours (we did get a lot done though!) and then I made the 2.5 hour drive back to Ann Arbor (with very heavy eyelids).

Yikes, I even look exhausted in that picture on top!

So, to recap, Saturday was: 3.25 hours of sleep, 2.5 hours of running, 5 hours of driving, and 5 hours of lifting heavy things (moving).  Yawn.  Needless to say, I slept like a fucking rock last night.  I went to bed at 9pm and didn't wake up until 7am.  It's not very often that I'm up after sunrise, at least not this time of year.

Today, I opted to relax a bit (after I rode the bike on the trainer, did some strength training, cleaned the apartment, filed some paperwork, did my laundry, and all that crap of course).


Tomorrow (Monday) is a very scary day.  It's my first day flying solo in the operating room.  Friday was my last day on orientation, which meant that I had a preceptor with me all the time.  Time to sink or swim!  I'm mostly just nervous about where they're going to put me (scrubbing or circulating, and in which service), because there are some things I'm comfortable with, and some things I'm not.  Wish me (and all my patients!) luck!

(had to scribble out some patient info up there!) 
(Oh, and clearly, I got my new phone, so yay for picture overload!  I just wish they showed up as nicely in feedly and other readers as they do when I'm laying them out.  Oh well!)

Bonus feature: here's my MVS from the weekend:

"Chocolate" - The 1975

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...