Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Climbing: Like strength training, but FUN!!

I went climbing for the third time ever (more than that if you count a few times on a small rock wall on a cruise, but I don't) after my triathlon on Saturday.  It just gets more fun every time!  The climbing gym I have been going to is Planet Rock, in Ann Arbor.  It's amazing.

Me, making my ascent.  
I basically went straight there on Saturday after my triathlon, stopping home for a quick shower and then heading out immediately to pick up my climbing buddy for the day, J, from work so we could go.  We got there at like 3pm, and luckily it wasn't super crowded.
J, bouldering like a boss.  
I didn't realize how hard climbing would be after that triathlon!  My forearms were BURNING on my first time up the wall, and that's despite the fact that I'm a pretty heavy leg user when I climb; my arms are just for balance and stability.  Bouldering was basically impossible.  (In bouldering there are no ropes and you stay low to the ground, but it's actually a lot harder.  I'm not very good at it at all.....yet!)

Inside the bouldering "cave", mapping out a plan of attack.  
I couldn't really justify leaving though....a day pass costs $26 ($17 + $9 for shoes and harness) so I wasn't about to waste it!  Luckily, after an hour or so, my muscles seemed to recover and I was able to climb a little easier.  I need to invest in a punch card and buying my own climbing shoes and harness if I'm going to stick with this, I think.  Otherwise it's just too pricey!
This is a good pic to get an idea of scale, in terms of how high their walls actually are.  
Anyway, I log climbing days in my workout log as "strength training".  You use a lot of muscles to do it, and I'm always sore afterward, so I'm totally counting it!  Bonus:  It's really fun, and it's something you can get better at over time, which is always rewarding. :)  Bonus bonus?....it totally shows off your muscles.  :P

Holy calves!  Need to work on my back and arms though!  
I'm trying to do at least one "fun" fitness activity each week, like climbing, hiking, kayaking or something like that, especially now that it's summertime (and by that, I mean not winter, although there was plenty of fun to be had in the winter too!).  What's the point of being a badass fit beast if it's all work and no play??? ;)

"Don’t get so caught up in trying to live the “healthiest” and longest life possible that you forget to LIVE. 

Staying in good health isn’t an end in and of itself. The PURPOSE of living in a healthier body is the ability to DO more with it. Love more. Play more. Use it for good (or mischief, you little buggers). Getting a fitter body is about more than just HAVING one. You gotta put it to good use.

It’s super easy to fall in love with healthy living: it’s addictive, it’s fun and the benefits are wicked. But if you’re spending more time in the gym than with the people you love or have become so restrictive with your eating that there is no room for spontaneity or JOY, you may want to re-prioritize.

Healthy living = healthier bodies. Healthier bodies = the ability to DO more for longer. Doing more, for longer = the MAIN purpose of healthy living. Don’t forget it."

---Chichi Kix (via fitvillains)

Source
(Bolding is mine, capitalization is hers) 



This little girl was tearing it UP!!! 
Speaking of fun, I'm leaving this Saturday with Michelle for our trip to California, where we will run the OC half marathon on Sunday and then get on a cruise to Mexico on Monday.  You will probably notice an increased frequency of blog posting this week leading up to the vacation as I "empty the queue" so to speak, and then my disappearance next week as I soak up all the sun, drink all the booze, and eat all the things (yay free all-you-can-eat buffets!!).  

1 comment:

  1. Been to planet rock and climbing. it's always a blast! What better way to dangle in front of a crowd with your 'junk' highlighted by tight straps. But climbing up the walls speaks to the imagination: you're not at planet rock, you're climbing in the Himalayas, with no rope, needing to perform or you'll fall to your death.

    Enjoy Mexico! Read the book "The Ruins" while you are there. Take pictures of folded origami towels, and eat all day and run around the 1/25th of a mile running track when you wake. (I never thought I would be, but I"m pro-cruise)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...